Log4E requires JRE 1.8.x or above. See the FAQ how to start Eclipse with JRE 1.8.x.
Installing a plugin is not difficult and you may already familiar with that process.
This is a failsafe guide to install the plugin. Consider that your Eclipse version is installed in C:\Program Files\eclipse:
- Shutdown Eclipse
- Delete the directory C:\Program Files\eclipse\features\de.jayefem.log4e.feature_xxx on your file system (your previous settings will be NOT deleted)
- Delete both directories C:\Program Files\eclipse\plugins\de.jayefem.log4e_xxx and C:\Program Files\eclipse\plugins\de.jayefem.log4e.help_xxx on your file system (your previous settings will be NOT deleted)
- Start Eclipse
- Use the Update Manager of Eclipse as decribed below OR download the zip-file from the Download section and unzip it to C:\Program Files\eclipse
- Restart Eclipse
- If the installation failed start Eclipse again with the '-clean' parameter
The easiest way to install is to use the Install/Update Feature of Eclipse.
How to use the Install/Update Feature:
- Configure Proxy: Go to Preferences > Install/Uptdate
Check Enable HTTP Proxy Connection and fill in host and port.
- Eclipse 2:
Go to Install/Update Perspective
Choose New in the Context Menu of Feature Updates view and fill in a new Site Bookmark with any name (e.g. "Log4E") and the Eclipse Update URL specified below.
- Eclipse 3:
Go to Help > Software Updates > Find and Install ... > Search for new features to install in the main menu.
Fill in a New Remote Site with any name (e.g. "Log4E") and the Eclipse Update URL specified below.
Eclipse Update URL: http://www.log4e.de/update